The Canadian Construction Association has made several important changes to the Gold Seal Certification program and its guide. Below is a point form recap of the revisions and information.
This is particularly important to anyone in the industry who was thinking of taking the Gold Seal exam this year.
The changes include:
- The Gold Seal Certification guide has been revised. Click here for the updated version which has been re-organized to align with the new GSC application form.
- As there have been several changes in the program, we wanted to ensure our current GSCs are made aware, as they are role models and mentors for their co-workers and peers. We have sent them all updated information and resources, so that they may share with any colleagues interested in pursuing their GSC. See link to the email sent out to all GSCs.
- The monthly Gold Seal info webinars have been rescheduled to Wednesdays. See the schedule on the Gold Seal webinars page.
- We have created several informational videos on various Gold Seal topics. They are posted on the Gold Seal YouTube channel. Check them out here, and feel free to share the link with your members/interested prospects.
- The work on the occupational profiles, sample questions and exam banksis on the final stretch. Below is a summary of the major changes to the occupational profiles:
- Consolidation of mechanical, electrical, specialty trade, general contracting, and civil occupational profiles for project manager, superintendent, and estimator (reduction from 15 to 3 occupational profiles).
- More granular details in most profiles to capture a fuller range of tasks and activities.
- Some profiles such as the superintendent saw a significant increase in size to reflect role requirements.
- Construction safety coordinator has been renamed construction safety practitioner to better capture the breadth and raised expectations for the role.
- Language was aligned with CCDC and industry standard terminology.
- Ethics competencies were developed that apply to all occupational groups. These competencies and expectations were used to form ethics-specific questions that will be part of all exams.
- The new English occupational profiles are now posted on the website, at the bottom of the exam page. Below are the direct links to each profile:
- Currently, there are 246 candidates registered for the October exam. There are no candidates registered to take the exam at your LCA to date.
- Reminder: the deadline to apply is September 11.
- As we all know, the COVID situation is constantly changing. As a result, Gold Seal has not yet come to a final decision the exam location. However, considering all pros and cons with regards to the situation, we are leaning towards having candidates take the exam from their homes/offices, and not at LCA locations. There are many factors to consider, mainly safety precautions and classroom space. We will provide you with a final update in the coming weeks.
- For exam date selected candidates, an exam update email will be sent this week.
- Following this, an email to all other applicants, including approved, will be sent with a link to the new occupational profiles.
Exam prep webinars (English and French) will be held September 23 and 25 and the new sample questions will be published by September 18.