Job Title: WORKSAFELY® – Safety Advisor
Job Location: Western Region
Report to: Director, WORKSAFELY® Education & Training
As a WORKSAFELY® Safety Advisor in the Western Region, you’ll play a pivotal role in advancing workplace safety programs within the heavy construction industry. Reporting to the Director of WORKSAFELY® Education & Training, your responsibilities will encompass providing expert advice, delivering impactful training, conducting program and workplace safety assessments, and actively promoting the COR® safety program and related services.
Reporting to the MHCA’s Director, WORKSAFELY® Education and Training, position duties include:
- Providing advice to companies on compliance with safety and health legislation/standards and on the effective implementation of the COR® safety program.
- Conduct in-class COR® program and other safety-related training sessions
- Perform thorough evaluations of company safety systems to ensure alignment with industry COR® safety program standards, MB WSH Act and Regulations or Industry best practices.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in the discharge of position duties, and
- Undertake and other responsibilities as directed, contributing to the dynamic nature of this role.
- Possess extensive knowledge of provincial workplace safety and health legislation and associated standards in the heavy construction industry, coupled with familiarity with the COR® safety program or similar safety management systems.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills, facilitating effective interactions with company owners, management, and workers, as well as providing engaging in-class training.
- Have a minimum of 3+ years of experience in the safety field, showcasing proficiency in Microsoft 365 programs and CRMs for streamlined documentation and communication processes.
- Exhibit the ability to work independently, following organizational processes and standards without direct supervision oversight.
- Possess health and safety designations (e.g., CRST, CRSP, CHSC) or similar, with additional safety-related accreditation or education considered as assets. Knowledge of the heavy construction industry and related safety practices is highly desirable.
- Provide technical support and guidance to assist clients in achieving and maintaining COR® certification.
- Conduct audits of client companies’ safety programs to ensure compliance with the national COR® Program standard.
- Maintain client COR® program information in the WORKSAFELY® Customer Relationship Management software, developing and maintaining proficiency in the same.
- Stay current with provincial safety and health legislation, the national COR® Program standard, industry best practices and other relevant materials.
- Provide consulting services to companies seeking to enhance workplace safety
- Develop safety improvement plans for companies based on conducted assessments and industry best practices to support implementation
Training and Education
- Provide in-class or virtual classroom training required for clients to achieve and/or maintain COR® certification.
- Participate in professional development activities to maintain/enhance safety advisor skills and credentials.
- Actively promote COR® and all related WORKSAFELY, Education and Training programs and services to enhance the presence, profile, and impact of the MHCA and WORKSAFELY®.
- Represent the MHCA and WORKSAFELY®, Education & Training in regional safety awareness and promotion campaigns, including Safety and Health Week, trade shows, and other events.
- MHCA recognizes the importance of a conducive work environment for optimal performance. Applicants for this remote position are expected to have a suitable home office setup, equipped with necessary technology and a reliable internet connection, ensuring seamless communication and collaboration.
- Must have a valid drivers’ license and own a reliable vehicle.
How to Apply:
If you are a dedicated Safety Advisor looking to contribute to the advancement of safety standards in the Manitoba heavy construction sector, we invite you to apply by emailing your resume and cover letter expressing reasons for interest to Jacquelyn Oduro, Director, MHCA WORKSAFELY® Education and Training, at Jacquelyn@mhca.mb.ca. No phone calls please and only those individuals to be interviewed will be contacted.
Join us at MHCA, where safety is not just a program – it’s a commitment to excellence! – www.mhcaworksafely.ca.
The closing date: February 12th 2024.