JOIN THE INCLUSION DISCUSSION
“My crew is one of the best in the company right now. You have to want to work hard and want to learn. In my crew, they are Filipino, Polish, Ukrainian, Chinese, Ethiopian, Jamaican.
“The benefits, too, are good – dental, eye, massage therapy.”
Abdul Navid Abdul Baqi, concrete foreman, Bituminex Paving
- Workplace Sexual Harassment Project • CLEA has set up a Workplace Sexual Harassment Hotline for Manitoba. The Hotline is staffed by a staff lawyer who can provide legal information and advice, make appropriate referrals to agencies, print and other resources • view
- The Accessibility for Manitobans Act • view
- Rainbow Resource Centre • 2SLGBTQ+ workplace training and support
- Pride at Work Canada • view resources and programs
- Young workers • SAFE Work Manitoba • view
- Harassment • SAFE Work Manitoba • view
“A lot of people make good money knowing this industry. We’re in need of more skilled labour.
“I was a CFS kid, I moved around a lot, in different foster homes. I am actually quite proud of what I’ve done and achieved.
Dave Choken, supervisor, underground division, Bituminex Paving
“I like (concrete) finishing, I like the design (element). I love it, I enjoy it.
“I consider myself a lucky person. When I came to Canada I was just trying to get any job and construction was the first thing that came to me.”
Tewodrose Mengistu, concrete finisher, Bituminex Paving
Interested in talking to someone about your future in heavy construction? Call Jackie Jones at 204-947-1379.